Search This Blog

Monday 19 December 2011

Gigs - John Bramwell/Thea Gilmore – Royal Exchange


Star rating – 8/10

It’s not often the Royal Exchange theatre hosts a gig – in fact I wasn’t aware that it did until I saw John Bramwell and Thea Gilmore perform in this excellent space last night. This was my sixth JB/I Am Kloot gig this year – and he does not fail to thrill with his beautiful lyrics, Mancunian humour, and witty banter that accompanies his songs.

He did a couple of great new songs from the forthcoming IAK album, ‘Shoeless’ and ‘Let Them All In’, in addition to great favourites such as ‘I Believe’; ‘Storm Warning’; ‘Proof’; and ‘Ferris Wheels’. Let’s hope the new album is every bit as special as the last one. I Am Kloot will be touring again with it next May, and I for one can’t wait.

His witticism was much in evidence as always. Just one request please John – get your teeth sorted before you do the tour. You know you’re worth it!

Thea Gilmore and her band were also great. She performed some very moving new songs with lyrics by the late Sandy Denny – ‘Georgia’ and ‘Frozen Time’. It was a lovely intimate space for a special evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment