Search This Blog

Friday 12 October 2012

Gigs - My Darling Clementine - Whitstable Royal Native Oyster Stores

Star rating - 8/10

It's not every day that I make my way to a gig by walking along a beautiful beach at night lit only by the starry night sky above - so my first trip to Whitstable got off to a satisfyingly romantic start. And things only got better when brilliant country duo My Darling Clementine started to entertain me. 

They are husband and wife Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish, with an accomplished backing band alongside them. And they treated the locals to a great evening's entertainment of songs from their fabulous debut album, ‘How Do You Plead?’. 

Now I've always been a sucker for a great duet, and for me they don't come much greater than Tammy Wynette and George Jones, so this clever pastiche on the genre, delivered with wit and not inconsiderable musicianship, really hits the spot. They delivered great sweepings songs like You've Found Your Man, and Reserved For Me and You. And my only complaint was that the all seater venue didn't allow for dancing the night away in delight as I wanted to. 

One of my all time favourite songs ever, as made famous by George Jones and Elvis Costello alike is Good Year For the Roses, and it was covered by the duo tonight. They also did other Elvis Costello and Johnny Cash numbers, but they come alive when delivering their own special brand of songs about relationship woes, and do so in an extremely entertaining and ironic manner. 

Special mention also to their fabulous backing band including a pedal steel and double bass to warm the cockles of your heart. My Darling Clementine are great fun, great entertainers, and damn well know how to deliver a fine country duet. Yee hah!!



No comments:

Post a Comment